Monday 29 May 2017

Salted Almond Meringue

As this week's Bake Along theme was Meringue, I was not sure whether I will be up to it to participate as my girl is not really a sweet tooth person and my son is always not home.


Then again, I just had 3 egg white left over from the donut's filling that I made and I did not want to keep it in the fridge for too long.  So found a recipe that is ideally not too sweet and yet used up that 3 egg whites!


Perfect!


Observation: The texture is light, chewy and yet has a melt in the mouth feel.  The salt greatly balance off the sweetness.    Also with some almonds, it gives some bites to this light cookie.

It kind of tasted like macaroon with the almondy taste.

I had to exercise self control not to finish up the whole tray.


What you need:

50g roasted almond flakes, crushed
¼ tsp sea salt (I added in another pinch on the folding)
165g caster sugar
81g (approx 3 egg whites)
½ tsp distilled vinegar
½ tsp cornflour
A few drops of almond essence

Method:

Preheat oven to 180°C.  Line baking sheet with greaseproof paper.

Spread sugar onto the tray and bake for 8 mins.

Whisk egg white until frothy, and then add in the warm sugar bit by bit until the mixture is firm and glossy.

Fold in the almond bits, vinegar, salt and corn flour and almond essence.  Fill into a piping bag.

Reduce the oven temperature to 140ºC.

Pipe the meringues onto the tray.

Sprinkle a cocoa nibs on top of each meringue.

Place the meringues in the oven for 10 minutes; turn the oven down to 120ºC and cook for another 50 minutes.

When ready, the meringues should be nice and dry underneath and still a little soft in the centre.


Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.