Sunday 28 May 2017

Vanilla Crème Donut

Though I love donuts, but I have only experimented trice since I started blogging (Japanese version, korean version) and other time was while I was still staying in Seletar air base.

After seeing a fellow FB member posted her doughnut, I suddenly had the urge to try it again.  The doughnut cutter I have, though the quality was good but the design was bad.  It does not cut well on the inner ring!

Anyway, so I just turned this into Vanilla Crème Donut instead and this recipe is perfect.


This is my 2nd time making these in a week and you can by now guess that my family really love it.  My fussy boy actually gave a thumbs up for it.



Learning experience:  

My first attempt, I did a bigger doughnut and I found it hard to manage as it was big.  Also, it stuck together after proofing and by the time I was ready to fry it, lifting them actually deflated it and got it out of shape.

So this time, I reduced the size and it was manageable.  At least I got them into a decent round.

As for the fillings, based on 100ml whipping cream, I find it a little thick and added more cream to it.

This is seriously good.  Light and fluffy and my family loves it.  

Definitely a keeper!

Strongly recommend you try this if you are a doughnut lover!


Adapted: Source

What you need:
Yield: 20 doughnuts

Dough

250g bread flour
30g castor sugar
5g sea salt
3.5g instant yeast
2 eggs
75g water

65g unsalted butter, softened

Oil for deep frying

Coating: Castor sugar

Method (dough):

In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredient for dough except butter.  Mix for 8 mins or until the dough comes clean from side of the bowl.  Rest for 5 mins.

On med speed, divide the butter into 3s and add in butter to the dough bit by bit.  Knead until dough is glossy and pass the windowpane stage.

Cover and let it proof until double in size.

Degas and shape into a ball.  Put in an oiled bowl, covered.  Let it chill overnight.

Remove dough and cut into 25g.   Tension roll into a ball. 

Placed on a floured tray, leaving room for expansion.  Loosely cover with cling wrap for proofing (est 4 hours or double in size).

Heat oil for deep frying (180°C). 

Using a big scraper, gently lift the dough from the tray and onto the heated oil.  Fry until golden on both sides.

Remove from fryer and onto a kitchen towel and then toss in castor sugar while it is still warm.

Fill in the cream. 

Serve right away.

Cream patissiere

1 vanilla pod
250ml fresh milk
3 egg yolks
63g castor sugar + 2 tbsp
40g plain flour
150ml whipping cream

Method (Cream):

Remove seeds from vanilla pod.  Put both pod and seeds into a saucepan with the milk and slowly bring to a boil.  DO NOT OVERHEAT.

Beat egg yolks and 63g sugar and then sift in the flour.  Beat to combine well.

Pour the just boiling milk over the yolk mixture, whisking constantly.  Return the mixture to saucepan.

Cook over med heat for about 5 mins until mixture thickens.

Sieve and place clingwrap over the cream to prevent skinning.  Leave to cool and then chill.

Whip cream with 2 tbsp of sugar until stiff peak and fold into the chilled custard.  Ready to use.   


8 comments:

  1. Beautiful and yummy donuts. Love the look of your donuts. I will try the recipe one day and let you know the results. Thank you Rumbling Tummy for sharing recipe.

    Blessings
    Priscilla Poh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it! I think you will love it as much as we do. In fact, the next round I make these I will double the portion coz my kid wanted more.

      Delete
  2. I am always far too scared to make donuts by deep frying! But it looks SO worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't deep fry too often but these ones, I done twice with two days. It is really good.

      Delete
  3. These look really tempting ! I bet my kids will love it too.
    Enjoy your week ahead.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Edith,

    I am very interested in the recipe but have never done a donut before. Kindly advise on the following...

    On med speed, divide butter into 3s and add in butter to the dough bit by bit. Knead until dough is glossy and pass the window pane stage.
    - what is the meaning of divide butter into 3s??
    - how long to keand until dough is glossy and pass the window pane stage??

    Degas and shape into a ball
    - meaning punch out the gas and shape into a ball??

    Tension roll into a ball
    - what is the meaning of this??

    Regards,
    Geni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Divide the butter into 3 additions. Don't dump all the butter at one go.

      Knead approx about 12 mins or more, depending on the voltage of your mixer.

      Yes punch out the gas and shape.

      Tension roll meaning you create some tension as you form into a ball. You might want to check out some youtube for demo.

      Good luck Geni.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.